Sunday, June 26, 2011

More on Sheila Reid's Canadian 1500 Title


Reid, Brannen win 1500m titles at Canadian championships
June 25, 2011
By Mihira Lakshman, Canadian Running

It’s been a June that Sheila Reid will likely never forget. The 21-year-old from Newmarket, Ont., added a Canadian championship to her already impressive resume, winning the women’s 1500m in 4:16.97, Saturday in Calgary.

Reid, who represents Athletics Toronto, upset veterans Malindi Elmore and Hilary Stellingwerf with a slick pass along the inside rail on the homestretch. She made a similar move when she won the NCAA 1500m title two weeks earlier.

“That seems to be my new thing,” Reid told CBC Sports. “My last 100 is always on fire.”

It’s been a breakthrough year for Reid, who also won the NCAA 5000m title and cross-country championship this season. “I’ve been working my butt off. I trained myself to the best shape of my life this year. It’s really exciting to come back to Canada and win these championships.”

Also on Saturday, Nate Brannen of Cambridge, Ont., edged Speed River’s Taylor Milne in a sprint over the final 100m, taking the men’s 1500m title in 3:50.33.

On Friday, Hamilton’s Reid Coolsaet, representing Speed River, completed the 10,000m, 5000m double, winning the 5K in a relatively slow 14:09.83.

No comments:

Post a Comment